Wednesday, October 27, 2010

One more thing before I forget this blog exists for a little while:

Linger (Frank Stanford):

The moon wanders through my barn
Like a widow heading for the county seat

It's not dark here yet
I'm just waiting for the bow hunters
So I can run them off

They put out licks on my land
Every summer

When it gets cool the animals are tame

I've fallen asleep
In the trees before

I dreamed someone's horse
Had wandered out on the football field
To graze
And I was showing children through a museum

The bow hunters make their boys
Pull the deer's tongue out bare-handed

At dusk when I hear an arrow
Coming through my field like a bird
I wonder what men have learned
From feathers

The animals wade the creek
And eat blackberries
The wind blows through the trees
Like a woman on a raft

3 comments:

  1. im not dead...but im hurting from this stanza:

    At dusk when I hear an arrow
    Coming through my field like a bird
    I wonder what men have learned
    From feathers

    Dave is having me read stanford for my thesis. I got to sound smart cus you introduced me to him about 4 days before dave did.

    woohoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i dont know why my gmail account comes up as "leviathan" or "mothersavage"

    but ok....

    i think the block partie website is fucking with my identity or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stanford is the man. My friend Zach Hagar who doesn't have any internet identity and whose phone number I lost and subsequently haven't seen in like three years introduced me to his poetry. When I read his poetry I think about the fact that I probably will never see Zach again.

    Stanford wrote a book-length poem called The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You. This is on my list of things to read soon. I don't know if they have it in the CC library--I've only read the excerpt in his selected poems--but it is nuts and worth finding via amazon or whatever. It's like Huck Finn minus the comedy and plus the recognition of its own violence and beauty.

    Anyway, glad you liked the stanza.

    ReplyDelete